We’ve got a family favourite for you to try: the best bobotie ever! 😍
2 slices of white bread
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg packet lean minced beef
2 tbsp curry paste
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
5 allspice berries
2 tbsp peach or mango chutney
3 tbsp sultanas
6 bay leaves
300ml full-cream milk
2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Pour water over the bread slices and allow them to soak.
- Fry the onions in butter for 10 minutes before adding the garlic and mince. Crush the mince with your utensil while cooking.
- Stir in the curry paste, herbs, spices, chutney, sultanas, and 2 of the bay leaves with 1 tsp salt and ground black pepper.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Squeeze the water from the bread and mix the bread in with the mince mixture.
- Pour this mixture into a large oven dish and smooth out.
- You can also make this ahead and keep in the fridge the day before.
- Beat the milk and eggs with seasoning and pour over the mixture in the dish.
- Top with the remaining bay leaves and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until set and golden. Enjoy! ✨🍴