Here’s a lekker recipe that’s absolutely to pie for 😂
1 Chicken cut into quarters (keep it on the bone)
1/2 tsp salt and black pepper
4 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tbsp plain flour
60ml white wine
2 egg yolks
4 tbsp lemon juice
175g shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
- Place the chicken, salt, onions, and carrots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (gas mark 7). Remove the chicken from the saucepan, strain the liquid into a measuring jug, reserve the vegetables, and cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and cook for 3-5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring constantly to form a roux.
- Add about 720ml of the reserved liquid together with the wine and continue to cook until thickened slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice together until frothy, then add to the sauce, beating well, and continue cooking until sauce thickens a little more. Adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken pieces in the bottom of a deep baking tin.
- Cut the reserved vegetables into slices and spread over the chicken, then pour the sauce over the top.
- Roll the pastry out large enough to cover the baking tin , and lay it over the tin pressing along the edges firmly. Trim any excess pastry hanging over the edges, then pierce the top in a few places to allow steam to escape. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180ºC (gas mark 4) and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.